by: Tikola Russell
A few years ago, I walked around Bridgewater State College as your typical, overly involved student. I graduated, went on to get my master’s degree at Suffolk University, took my first professional job as a Residence Director at Stonehill College down the road, and then I made the decision to come back to BSU to work in the Office of Student Conduct. I often get asked why I came back to Bridgewater State, so here it is, my top ten reasons for returning are…
- BSC provided me with many different experiences while here as a student, so I was happy to be given the opportunity to give back to the institution that gave me so much.
- Dunkin Donuts is less than 60 seconds away from my office…that is always a plus!
- Student Conduct is something that I have always been interested in so when the position opened up here, I thought I should apply and see what happens thinking maybe this could work out for me!
- The office was located in DiNardo! I knew it was meant to be! I never lived in DiNardo, but it was my second place of residence while a student here!
- I wanted to work with a different population of students than the ones that I had worked with at my two previous institutions and I knew Bridgewater would allow me to do just that.
- I no longer have to get on the highway to grab a coffee from Marylou’s.
- I get to work with the people that got me interested in pursuing Student Affairs as a career!
- Chatta Box is just that much closer! (My colleagues at my previous institution are slightly jealous!)
- I have a reason to buy Bridgewater State University items from the bookstore, seeing as Bridgewater State College no longer exist!
- Lastly, I have a lot of great memories as a student here and hopefully I can make great memories as a professional staff member working here!
Now you all know why I came back! Some reasons are for my professional growth and some are silly but yet meaningful! After all, it’s the big and the small that make everything in life worth it!